At WRI, we’ve made the knowledge of virtually every aspect of coal technology and use our domain. WRI is the leading energy research entity located in the number-one coal-producing state in the nation. For more than 25 years, WRI’s proximity to the energy resources in the western United States, especially the Powder River Basin, has given us a heightened sense of purpose in how we conduct our business and set our direction.
We have a long history of assisting coal producers and power generators and have established a significant network of resources throughout the industry. In Laramie, we have established the physical infrastructure necessary for effective coal research, testing and technology development at our Advanced Technology Center.
For producers, WRI experts and technologies are available to support coalbed methane recovery, produced water solutions, and mine reclamation. WRI supports current coal-fired power generation in the realms of emissions, water, ash and carbon capture and storage.
- Our Combustion Test Facility, which mimics a coal-fired utility boiler, is now being used in technology development and verification projects for NOx reduction and mercury capture technologies, as well as strategies for multi-pollutant control and oxy-combustion.
- We’ve earned a name for reliable emissions testing and monitoring at power plants.
- We’ve patented coal upgrading technologies that increase heating value and reduce regulated emissions. We’re also working with private clients to develop and demonstrate proprietary coal upgrading technologies.
We are working to develop enabling technologies for zero-emissions coal-based power plants of the future.
- We’re developing new catalysts and related synthesis technologies to co-produce chemicals, transportation fuels and electricity.
- WRI synthesis technology, used in conjunction with coal gasification, can also serve as a coal-to-liquids technology.
- IGCC (Integrated Gasification Combined Cycle), pre-gasification upgrading, and improved hydrogen are other areas in which we can provide support.